Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Featured autograph - Jody Davis

Because of collecting and being preoccupied with baseball cards, I probably 'know' bits and pieces about random players from the last 25-30 years, even though I probably never saw them play - Davis isn't one of those guys, since his prime years was before I started getting interested in Major League Baseball.

I gathered my regular sized cards I had and a 1985 Donruss Action All-Stars 4x6 card to get signed in-person several weeks ago since Davis is a coach for the Lake Elsinore Storm - when I tried to get his autograph after the game, I goofed and thought Davis was Jamie Quirk, another LE coach who played in the 1980's.

Since I made a mistake, I had to let a couple of collectors get Davis to sign their cards while I found the correct ones - when he finally got back to me, he asked if I wanted him to put 'Jamie Quirk' on the cards I wanted him to sign.

According to baseballreference.com, it looks like he was a mainstay for the Chicago Cubs at catcher for much of the 1980's - he wasn't a great hitter, but his bat was probably more than passable for a catcher back in his day.

Davis' offensive contributions petered out after he turned 30 - but he was a two-time All-Star, a Gold Glove winner who had a monster National League Championship Series against the eventual NL champion San Diego Padres back in 1984.

1 comment:

Hackenbush said...

Great story!