Thursday, October 30, 2014

My Oscar Taveras cards - a final look

His potential is what makes his untimely passing a tragedy in the sense that baseball fans care - who knows now what he could have done with a full season in the major leagues? He could have lit the league up on fire through the next 5-10 years, he might have been a star, All-Star or superstar but now he is gone.

The cards featured were the ones I hoped to get him to sign in-person at some point - I'll probably keep them together to put in one of my mini-collections [beyond the glory] as a constant reminder that Taveras was supposed to be destined for stardom.

I had printed an image of the Taveras 2014 Topps Update card [#US-113, the Rookie Debut subset card] earlier in the year - it was great on Topps' part to sneak in a card of Taveras taking a curtain call after his first MLB home run in his first game.

2012 Bowman Chrome #BCP 102 Blue refractor parallel - I found this one in a dollar box and while it wasn't autographed, I thought it was a sweet find.

2013 Topps Heritage Minors #200 - I wish I could have gotten the opportunity to get Taveras' autograph on one of his Topps Heritage Minors cards [2012-14].

2013 Topps Pro Debut #1 - Taveras was also the cover boy for the product's boxes.

2014 Topps Heritage Minors #119 - Taveras may have been a redundant inclusion but he added some star power to this year's base set.

2013 Bowman Platinum BPP #1 - while Taveras never had the chance to pile up a significant run of MLB cards, he had assorted prospect and minor league cards.

No comments: