Monday, October 29, 2018

Featured autograph - Steve Pearce

When Pearce was named the 2018 World Series MVP, I had to dig this card from somewhere and was glad to find it relatively quickly among a brick of cards I'd organized for players involved in transactions in a particular year - I may remember watching an at-bat of his once in-person when he was with the Pittsburgh Pirates [in 2008 perhaps].

I thought he had a nice batting stance and perhaps the look of a guy who can put up some decent numbers - though didn't seem like a top prospect and hadn't really established himself at all in the major leagues.

He has bounced around in his big league career and I guess the best thing I could say before this postseason - was he was a role player who had some pop in his bat and performed well at times in a platoon situation.

I got this card from an autograph forum that once had these listings where you could use points you collected from commenting or otherwise helping someone out - the autograph [I assume it was from TTM request] isn't too bold and maybe exposure to the natural elements made it fade a bit faster.

3 comments:

steelehere said...

Steve Pearce was actually Minor League Baseball's 2007 Offensive Player of the Year by MiLB.com. He was also the winner of the 2007 J.G. Taylor Spink Award, which recognizes Minor League Baseball's top player regardless of level or position and is given out by Topps annually.

https://www.milb.com/indianapolis/news/pearce-wins-2nd-milb-player-of-the-year-award/c-317368

Fuji said...

Didn't know too much about Pearce before the Yankees series. But I'm sure glad I got a chance to see him light up the Yankees and Dodgers.

Matt said...

I got Pearce's signature on a ball when he was with the Orioles. He's a nice guy, and it's easy to root for those non-star baseball lifers when they have moment like this.