Friday, October 21, 2005


Mail Call
A 1960 Topps Willie Mays PSA 5 finally arrived in the mail- I won it in on Sept. 28 but held off on paying it until about two weeks later.

I was bored (in the newsroom) - so I was looking for an impulsive purchase on Ebay. I put in a bid in the last 30 seconds and withstood the other snipes. I don't know if this was a prudent purchase because the card looks 'beat up,' more like a '3' or a '4' and it doesn't look like it has good 'eye-appeal.'

I figure when you consider buying a low-end box or half a box of a premium baseball card product, then I'd rather have the Mays.

On the other hand, 'just to have the card' isn't a good enough reason to pick it up.

The surface of this particular card has some paper loss. I suppose this is a collectible card, though not something that would likely be considered by serious collectors.

If it is the novelty of images that you want, why bother with low-end vintage star cards, when you have modern cards featuring Hall of Famers of the '60s, '70s, et al.

Don't bother with having something just for the heck of it. If you want to have a Willie Mays card, get a modern retro card of Mays for several dollars and spend the money you will have saved on something that has been signed, something that isn't beaten up and maybe something that adds to your collection.

Nostalgia is for the birds.

No comments: