Saturday, January 09, 2016

1989 Topps Traded Ken Griffey Jr. #41T

Basically Junior Griffey was probably at the top of the MLB world just behind Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa back in the late 1990s - the way I remember it, I was in my first year of figuring out this auction Web site called eBay and was looking to secure a copy of Junior's first Topps card in the 1989 Topps Traded set.

There was a 'bunch of them' listed in a dutch auction [?] and there were multiple bids on each one, though no picture - I figure I'd get in on the action, so I was going to bid on one to win it.

For about $15, I was going to get a Junior card and unlike in 2016, card prices were still a bit inflated just because Junior was in his prime and not everyone knew to get online to try to sell cards - I think the card was shipped in a plain white envelope, but the kick in the groin came when I saw the card shipped to me was a common card [#40T] of Ken Griffey Sr.

I was pissed off and disappointed at the fact I probably had no recourse - I did not even think it was possible that there would be a 'Sr.' in the 1989 Topps Traded set and my trigger finger got the best of me.

1 comment:

Big Tone said...

Ouch!The closest experience I had to that was when I almost pulled the trigger on Houstons prospect Matt Duffy thinking It was San Fran's Duffy.