Friday, April 13, 2018

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Topps Now pickups

Save for any autograph or limited parallels offered, I've picked up Ohtani's Topps Now cards from the past two weeks, including both versions [English and Japanese Kanji] of his first MLB hit card - as you read this I've probably put an order for likely another Topps Now card, noting his first MLB triple, which drove in 3 RBI.

It's pretty special to see Ohtani living up to the hype, rather than falling flat on his face and I'm just enjoying the ride as generally a fan of his MLB team - I think I tend to think about 'the next' [once in a generation talent to emerge] if the current best player in the planet has gotten too big time [like a music band that explodes through mainstream consciousness and is viewed as having sold out in a sense].

Over the last 15-20 years, maybe Albert Pujols was considered best player, then Bryce Harper was supposed to be the guy, then Mike Trout has been the guy for the last 6 years - point is someone like Ohtani is out there as someone with a chance to be a unique talent on their own to fawn over and speculate about as a new favorite.

Ohtani has gotten through his first couple of weeks in Major League Baseball with flying colors, but it's still two starts on the mound and a 26 at-bats as a batter - I want to still see how far he'll go and maybe there is a fear that he might be overused and gassed as the season wears on.

As far as collecting Ohtani cards, I don't know if I'm going to keep up with the Topps Now business past April - however as long as Ohtani is providing highlights, there is something about having an opportunity to grab new and unique MLB licensed Ohtani cards to feed the beast with chasing unopened products, looking for miscellaneous Ohtani cards.

There will probably be a number of pack pulled [likely non auto'd parallels] Ohtani cards I'd like to pick up in his rookie year - but without thinking too much about it, the Topps Now cards should continue to be no brainer purchases.

2 comments:

SumoMenkoMan said...

Nice cards. I'm glad his playing style has fit in so far over here in the U.S. I hope he stays healthy and can have a productive season. So far so good, but the season is pretty long. Crossing fingers!

Fuji said...

It's so cool to see him being used on the mound and at the plate. I mean... sure National League pitchers do it all of the time, but the Angels are actually excited and counting on him to produce as a hitter. I'm hoping this motivates other teams... like the Giants... to use guys like Mad Bum at the plate more often too.