Tuesday, January 05, 2021

A look into my collecting goals for 2021

Like everyone else it seems, I have a yearly set of collecting goals, but maybe it gets too long winded to fully break down on a blog - I feel like a goof when I don't catch up to any of them and so maybe it is easier to keep them offline.

One thing I'd like to keep up on is picking up a year's worth of random cards [1/1/21] - I don't know if there is a distinction to be made, but while this goal was meant to be for the quirkier, off-the-wall or esoteric, it looks like it is for any number of finds for my various; out of my expected pickups, I expect to count out one card / set per month as highlights.

Maybe a theme is to pick up cards the kid in me would be proud of - I may not be able to live in the past, but see what cards can I pick up that the beginning collector me would just get a kick out or have a laugh at.

Keepers that have me irrationally animated - may not be definitive by any stretch, but certainly YOLO cards, Dime Time buys where my collection feels just a bit more rounded because I have these cards in-hand.

Dumb 'YOLO' cards - something like the Keith Comstock crotch card [have it] or the Billy Ripken FF card [got it] or the Mark Jackson Menendez card [got it]; something infamous [within reason].

Binder material cards - something shiny, something that pops, even though it cards that may not are not particularly valuable or sought after, just more decade stars fodder that catch my eye.

Other people's interests - sometimes picking up cards off someone’s else’s preferences or narrative can be interesting.

Topps Now / Topps on-demand - I got on benders 2 or 3 years where I would purchase Topps Now singles; they may have been ‘too easy’ impulse purchase then, though hardly the definitive cards of a particular player, so I've stayed away.

Holes to fill - traditional rookie cards - why do I feel like I’ve got to get some of these cards when they are from the junk wax era / junk years?

Maybe it’s because it’s a little throwback, tribute, shout out to something I think I was familiar with, even superficially - 1988 Roberto Alomar and Craig Biggio rookies, Canadian versions of junk wax era rookies [Maddux, Bonds], etc.

Personal, curated sets - I would like to have a micro-mini showcase of random cards that are listed as part of my Top 50 fun PC.

For 2021 onward, this might be my Wanted 100 / cheap-azz keepers mash-up - where the plan is to used my Wanted 100 to help build up a personally curated cheap-azz keepers collection of cards.

Maybe the possibilities are endless, but considering the ‘established spots’ in my card collection set-up already - do I really need to make more ‘cutesy’ subsets that are supposed to highlight cards, but end up redundant?

No comments: