Monday, September 04, 2023

What I worked through at the card show

I was able to make it out twice to a 4-day show held at a local venue - this wasn't the normal monthly show and definitely not the one held two times a week.

I think there are expectations to try and come up with some big splash purchases - especially when paying a $25 each day [at the venue] that actually takes away from what I can spend on cards.

What maybe painfully obvious is what I end up bringing ends up being play money for others - reality sets in where I maybe content to do what I've done, which is to rummage around, but maybe in a bigger setting where there is potential to see new sellers to buy odds and ends from.

I found a quarter box and thought it might be worth thumbing through for a couple of minutes - I may have found some cards to dwell on and at some point, the seller came over and said they'd be a dime each per 100 cards.
Though this was not the only seller I bought from, I know I am not just paying a quarter or a dime in quantity for these bulk cards - I have to factor in what I paid in admission fees as well.

On the other hand, I'm here and it was a welcome challenge to have some 'freedom' to see if I can come up with a brick of 100 cards - and most likely double that number, depending onf what I found.

It's not like I worked through each of the rows one by one, but would grab from a different section to see if there was anything that caught my eye - I end up being in my own world where all I care about is seeing the next stack of cards.

I do not know if I was finding anything great but I guess it's all fun stuff to take home, go through and dwell on - I've made a habit of making claims through sales on social media and/or clicking around to buy cards online, but there is nothing like making the rummages come to life when I am at a show.

I was surprised there was still interest in some of the dated non-boxes and packs displayed at the table - maybe I would have been interested as well, but was focused on making a couple of bricks.

I think another collector asked me if I found any gems in what I was dug up - maybe the guy is just trying to make small talk, but I asked myself, 'is he really talking to me?'

I do not know what to say, how to describe the cards I end up with - when they are not the higher brow material like I might assume the collector has in his carrying case he goes through for a moment.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Given what people can see on the internet these days, I find it hard to believe that anyone would be paying $5 for a pack of Playboy cards.