Thursday, August 29, 2024

Card show finds - Miscellaneous vintage #1

I was browsing around a booth with binned singles at various price points - there were some early 1960s Fleer and also 1959 Fleer Ted Williams that might be of interest.

I decided to another table in the meantime, but overheard another collector looking for 1959 Fleer Ted Williams cards - so I wondered if he saw the binned cards from the one booth I was looking through.

I went back to the booth just to see if the cards were still there and it looks like they were - maybe the plan was to pick up four cards for around $5 each, so I tried to thumb through cards and see if there were probable keepers out of 'vintage, but long after their playing careers were done' cards of many HOfers.

I know the stacks I'm thumbing through are not high brow vintage and I don't really know what to make of such old-timey cards, but rather than some 'here and now' miscellany - it might be cool to end up with some real cardboard relics rather than something shiny and newish.

I picked out a couple of the Ted Williams cards - I can use as binder material I can add with my loose modern era Williams cards or for a loose card project.

I picked up an odd-uniform Ralph Kiner card picturing him with the Cleveland Indians - I can use for a loose card project or as binder material.

I picked up a Kid Nichols card I can squirrel away as part of my loose card Hall of Fame collections - where maybe I've tried to revive that project a little bit.

I made a Ty Cobb card a keeper, since he was the GOAT among early 20th century century players - even if he wasn't the most savory personality and reputation.

I also grabbed a card Branch Rickey since he was instrumental in breaking the color barrier in Major League Baseball - maybe to use for a loose card project or as an 'extra' I can add along with my loose modern era Jackie Robinson cards.

I realized I'd actually bought from the seller last year at another card show - I did not expect him to remember me, but when presented my cards, maybe hoping for a little off the total.

I was expecting to pay $25 or maybe $20 if I was lucky, but was charged exactly $30 for six cards and the seller was even confused, where he thought he asked me for $35 - I rolled my eyes for a moment before paying up.

What I did not realize until taking pictures of the cards after the fact - was the Cobb was actually marked as a $15 card when I assumed it was just another $5 card, so the seller did end up giving me a little discount off as I'd expected in the first place.

2 comments:

Fuji said...

That Fleer Ted Williams card with the plane is cool. Never knew he was involved in a plane crash. This guy has such an interesting life story.

Jon said...

Your Cobb is pretty cool. That's a card that I've wanted for a while now, but just haven't gotten around to looking for one yet.