Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Congratulations Ervin Santana - no hit pitcher

The only time I thought about Ervin Santana before learning he threw a no-hitter was when I was at All-You-Can-Eat Japanese restaurant by the mall in Orange, California - I was headed to the restroom and among the pictures posted along the wall of patrons who have been to the restaurant, was a picture of Santana with one of the 'chefs.'

'Hey, that's Ervin Santana,' I said to myself.

I thought while Santana is not quite up there with Jered Weaver and Dan Haren, he's been pretty good when he is locked in - he has a nice and smooth pitching delivery and through the up-and-downs he's had, he has actually had a solid career record as an Angel.

When getting back to the table, I wondered if he had pitched today - I think the Angel game was at 9:30 a.m. and I wondered if I'd catch a replay later on.

I had no idea he pitched quite a game in Cleveland - I was flipping around radio stations and one of the local sports ones mentioned they were about to interview Angels catcher Bobby Wilson once the Angels got into Detroit for their next series, because the big story of the day was Santana's no-hit feat [despite allowing one unearned run in a 3-1 win].

No comments: