Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Featured autograph - Andrelton Simmons

I was looking to add a Simmons autograph for my all-time Angels collection since the team traded for him last month - I picked up this certified autograph along with about 21 other miscellaneous cards during a Black Friday promotion at my current 'LCS' in Redmond, Washington COMC.

Compared to the other cards I was looking at, it seems like Simmons used a thicker, bolder pen to autograph this card - I think Topps uses a Lumocolor pen for their autograph signings, but the thickness of the ink would lead to think a Sharpie was used instead.

I was on vacation with my parents overseas when I learned about the news of Simmons' acquisition - I didn't expect the Angels to trade their No. 1 prospect Sean Newcomb [along with fellow prospect Chris Ellis, long-time Angels shortstop Erick Aybar and cash] for Simmons and a minor leaguer, but Simmons is regarded as the best defensive shortstop in all of Major League Baseball.

I was looking forward to seeing Newcomb as the next young arm to come through the minors for the Angels - but for all the plays he makes at shortstop, Simmons just has to hit a little bit more to really fit the profile of a star shortstop an MLB team can build around.

No comments: