Thursday, December 10, 2015

Featured autograph - Steve Stone

I picked up a 2005 Donruss Leather & Lumber Lumber Cuts Stone for $3 - I've known him mostly as the long time TV color guy with the Chicago Cubs and also the Chicago White Sox, not really as a MLB pitcher who was awarded the 1980 American League Cy Young as a Baltimore Orioles pitcher.

I would have never thought about picking up a card like this but I've been trying to add some wrinkles here and there for my award winners collection - maybe chase down the occasional certified autograph and/or memorabilia card for more of the rank-and-file guys as opposed to the more notable award winners [who command a premium for their better autograph / memorabilia cards].

I do remember getting a random card signed by Stone in-person years ago - he was signing with some pen [either ballpoint or some weak pen that wasn't a Sharpie] that didn't stick to the card surface at all.

I also saw him sign randomly at some other point, maybe four or five years ago - though I never bothered to get him to sign a specific card.

1 comment:

Hackenbush said...

Stoney has a pretty consistent autograph and a pretty nice one at that. I liked him better when he was broadcasting for the Cubs. Number one, I grew up hating the White Sox and #2 I just find his partner, Hawk Harrelson, annoying.