Thursday, August 13, 2020

A glitch in the Matrix

I saw a thread on Twitter about repaging a set numerically and rolled my eyes since I’m not really a set guy at this point - even if I was a set collector, it seems simple enough to where I can certainly make sure to have all the cards in order when putting them in plastic sheets.

Go figure I was digging out a 1983 Topps Don Robinson [#44] I couldn't find, where it wasn't where I assumed it was in my 1983 Topps set binder - I was wondering if the numbering was wrong or I was looking up a card that belonged to a different year of Topps cards.

Turns out card #44 was stuck behind card #43 and the Robinson basically was never placed in its own pocket - so for the work I did to put the set in pages, the order is actually out of whack.

I’m going to say I have a problem in hand, but I’m not going to worry about trying to correct things - it’s probably going to be the case where now I'm pulling cards from the book to include in TTM requests, so there is already a little uncertainty about keeping the set together.

I guess I'm not perfect and probably should live with this glitch - as long as I know what I’m dealing with when looking for a particular card.

2 comments:

The Angels In Order said...

Having a card out of order would drive me crazy. When I built my 1991 Upper Deck set, I bindered it by team, thought it would be cool. I've been unsettled ever since, and now have plans to pull it all apart and redo it in numerical order.

Fuji said...

I've had something like this happen to me before... and I ended up pulling all of the cards out and fixing the issue. Like The Angels in Order... I couldn't just leave it. My OCD would keep me up at night. That's why I try my best to check when inserting a set into a binder to constantly check the ninth spot in 9-pocket page. If the sum of the digits of the card's number isn't divisible by 9, then there's a problem.

Example: Card 279 should always be in the bottom right-hand corner of a 9 pocket page, because 2+7+9 = 18... and 18 is divisible by 9. But if card #280 ends up being in that spot, there was a problem somewhere.