Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ode to Vlad

This is the body of a 'fan-letter' I wrote to Vladimir Guerrero when he was still signing autographs through the mail back in 2000 - you can run, hit and hit a ton. You have one of the best swings in baseball, but it is frustrating as one of your fans to watch you struggle in the field as one of the worst outfielders in baseball, execution wise. With your quick wrists, it is easy to see why you are a great young player of the game. But even with a strong and deadly cannon for an arm, your instincts in the outfield are something to look with intent to improve. Hopefully you can develop better instincts in the outfield. You are too great of a young player to let that part of your game slip.

I found a bunch of saved Word documents on Yahoo! Briefcase, I quickly went over and promptly deleted - I saved a few 'examples' for my archives, but looking back at the letter I sent to Vlad, I don't know if what I wrote to him was entirely accurate - or even if it made sense. I had asked for my two cards to be signed, though I don't know if I got particular cards from this request back.

He just happens to be my favorite player [if nothing else, just to watch] today - back in 2000, he was probably just one of these rising stars who still signed through-the-mail on a somewhat regular basis. He probably stopped in 2001 or 2002 and is virtually impossible to get in-person unless it is an organized event where he is mandated to sign.

No comments: