Monday, June 12, 2017

The 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge - Day 25

"A favorite oddball card from the 1970s."

1978 Family Fun Centers San Diego Padres Ozzie Smith #29 - this card came out before Smith's 1979 Topps rookie, so while it's a regional issue, it has some significance attached to it.

I've gone with larger sized cards as far picking out oddball favorites from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s - maybe I feel like there was more of an opportunity showcase an image or use unique design elements, as opposed to a smaller trading card.

Since this card featured a rookie, whomever put these cards together had to dig a little deeper - for Smith's 'greatest thrill in baseball' up through his first season in San Diego.

1 comment:

Fuji said...

Awesome card. I remember when I finally added it to my Padres collection, I read the back and learned about Ozzie and Team USA. Never heard about that before reading this card.