Thursday, June 30, 2011

Featured autographs - Mike Fitzgerald

"He looks All-American, mom and apple pie."

Former Major League catcher Mike Fitzgerald spent one lone season with the Angels in 1992 and threw out the first pitch before Wednesday's game against the Washington Nationals - while waiting for Fitzgerald to show up to sign autographs around the third inning, I gave a extra card to the mother / son standing behind me.

However, the gesture seemed pointless since Fitzgerald he had a stack of his cards to hand out -I thought they would be personal testimony cards, but they seemed to be regular issue Topps, Donruss, Fleer, etc from over the years.

I guess he was a semi-regular catcher who played in the junk wax era, so he's got to have a lot of cards out - whether collectors wanted them or not.

Fitzgerald signed the two cards I did have for him as he pointed to the 1984 Donruss and said, "oh, that is my rookie card."

The Angels handler who sits with and chats up the former Angels signers kind of nodded her her head to say, 'I see.'

"At least that is what the collectors say," Fitzgerald said.



No comments: