Wednesday, April 04, 2018

TTM autographs received: Carl Erskine

The 91-year old signed my trading cards in blue Sharpie and responded to my letter in about three months - there is something peculiar about sending an autograph request to someone who is closer to 100 years old than 25, because I wonder how someone so old can actually go get all the mail sent to them and manage to respond back to each of the senders.

I would assume, depending on how able they still are function - someone notable to still write to already their 70s, 80s or 90s, do have some help in answering mail.

After sending out to Erskine on January with a donation he generally requires - I was expecting about to see a response back in two or three weeks, but was worried when there was no response.

Erskine became a 'scratch the itch' guy for me because he has had a reputation for being a great TTM signer - I wanted to see if I could get ink on some loose cards I had of his.

However word got out through Facebook and the SCN message boards, that Erskine apparently had lost the ability to use his hands - which obviously prevented him from answering requests sent to him in the meantime.

According to the note that was posted, Erskine would wait a bit until things got better or he would mark the mail sent to him as return to senders - I was wondering if Erskine would be able to sign again and was relieved I saw a couple of successes within the past week or so.

1 comment:

Hackenbush said...

Boy and he still has a pretty nice signature. OISK!