Sunday, January 26, 2020

Rest in Peace Kobe Bryant 1978-2020

I'm not going to mention every person that passes on and the idea of death is inevitably awkward, but it does seem to mean a little bit more when someone relatively notable passes like professional athlete or celebrity - maybe because they are in the spotlight and as far as Kobe goes, someone who was supposed to be larger than life.

A player's untimely passing makes me think for a moment about the times I've objectified these players as performers on the field, generating statistics I pore over on a day-to-day basis and guys whose autographs I have or don't have in my collection - at the end of the day, professional athletes are just like anybody else with their own lives.

I never collected his cards seriously or actually got his autograph in-person and maybe the closet thing I got from him was a glare when trying to take his picture leaving a baseball game with family - Kobe was the biggest deal for the longest time, even through his mess ups and feuds with a notable teammate on his own.

1 comment:

Fuji said...

I never thought I'd get emotional over the passing of a person I didn't actually know. But then Tony Gwynn passed away a few years ago and it felt like I got punched in the gut. It felt that way again yesterday when the tragic news set in. It still doesn't feel real. Like... maybe I'll wake up and it'll just be a nightmare or something.