Sunday, December 18, 2022

A little change of pace at the card show

I stumbled upon a little different table where it was a woman selling ephemera rather than cards - set up next to the seller I'd just bought some cards from, it looks like they were friends and/or good acquaintances.

I was looking through the cheaper dollar baseball themed postcards, team issued photo cards, et al - even at the lowest end, maybe I wasn't finding much, where I don’t collect any of this I’m looking through, but I’ll humor myself with this cutesy stuff.

Maybe some of this stuff is old-school or vintage - but still feel like they are mass produced and already used where it's not worth much.

I'm not sure if it's how postcard sellers do things, but seeing prices marked in pencil on the back are kind of peculiar - it would not prevent me from picking something up I liked, but kind of a turn off.

I was going through another misc baseball themed box - there were scattered First Day Covers, but they are literally envelopes and I'm not familiar with them as perhaps a dated sports collectible.

I didn't want anything newer skewing towards the 1990s onwared, but than found a Reggie Jackson FDC from 1984 for $4 - I don't think I was looking for this, but it wasn't unreasonable to consider.

While I wonder about dealing with odd-sized baseball card items, I found some loose I found some old MSA oddball discs - featuring Thurman Munson, Johnny Bench, Tom Seaver and a Willie Stargell for $2 each.

The seller was showing me a full box panel where the cards came from - though it seemed the cards on the box seemed smaller than the ones I was considering as keepers.

I ended up spending $12 for what I picked out - after the fact two of the discs were marked lightly on the back, but they were still OK purchases, even if they don't end up unlocking something that takes me to a different place with the odds and ends I find.

2 comments:

Bo said...

Vintage postcards of any kind are surprisingly expensive. There's a pretty big market for them.

Jon said...

They say that variety is the spice of life, so...