Sunday, April 16, 2023

Some cheap thrills with a junk box of cards

At a card show I go to, I ended up picking up one of the odd junk boxes [varying sizes, but I got one of 800-count ones, marked $3] - piled at the end of the table at the back of the storefront [where the show dates take place].

I’ve seen the old-old regulars occasionally poke around and dig through those random boxes because they probably have nothing better to do - even though the boxes have been picked over, no one actually wants the cards.

I'm really looking for the stragglers from the junk wax era [or a little bit before or after those 1986-92 years, whatever ends up being in the boxes] - I might not otherwise discover unless I take a chance on one of these 'repack boxes on steroids.'

Knowing the caveats, it's probably a better experience to pick one up a box, priced as is - than busting the latest incarnations of the pharmacy repack boxes collectors kind of like to bust, even when the contents have been less than ideal.

Just to keep things straight in my head, I’m counting on pulling about 20-25 keepers that make the purchase worth $3 for me - even if I'm inclined to throw away the other 775 cards [where maybe the box itself still looks fairly clean and ends up being the most valuable item after being repurposed].

There was a 'big' open display tray of junk cards for $15 - there was no way I was going to grab that and be able to take it home.

Maybe an iconic baseball pair as far sports movies go - the past 15-20 years.
Make no mistake about the significant number of 1987 Topps, 1988 Donruss 1988 Topps, 1990 Fleer, 1991 Donruss and other junk wax era brands in this box - but digging through, one pile at a time has me discovering some odd keepers, only a collector who nerds out on long forgotten bulk cards can appreciate.

3 comments:

The Angels In Order said...

Worth the 3 bucks just to thumb through them. I'm finding on TCDB that there's someone willing to trade for just about anything, even for the myriad of junk wax copyright variations!

Derek said...

I agree! $3 was worth it just for the entertainment value alone!

Jon said...

It's hard to imagine that you wouldn't be able to find at least a few keepers amongst all of those.