Thursday, August 10, 2023

Looking for some PWE cheap thrills

I have not been at an in-person card show in two months but that doesn't mean there has been a stoppage in fiending out on picking up cardboard - it's gotten to a point where everything just sits once I get it in-hand and maybe there has not been the ability to make sense of it all, much less blog about any hauls from social media commerce.

The cards I picked up [for $3 shipped] might just be the least important out of things I've bought lately - but gives me seemingly an easy task to talk about or to show off as proof of life goes.

I thought this was a real 2001 Bowman Heritage Miguel Cabrera peeking out from a seller's sale picture - I figured it wasn't a rookie card, but maybe early career prospect cards of eventual big league greats have some novelty where it's a cool find.
Go figure, the seller asked me if I was still OK claiming the card since it was actually a reprint - it might have been $0.50 or a dollar, so I just went with it since I didn't want to seem like I just had no idea what I was looking at.
A shiny foil card of Shohei Ohtani is never a bad thing to make a keeper out of - the Panini issue from a couple of years ago might be unlicensed by MLB, but he might be changing teams in the off-season, where that 'Los Angeles' on the card could mean the Angels or the Dodgers.
I like Vladimir Guerrero [Sr.] as much as the other guy and he actually played for my home team, so it's more natural for me to gravitate towards any of his cards with lingering nostalgia - this shiny card is from his Montreal Expos days is a loud one and and before he played for the Angels, I used to follow him a little bit because he was a fun player to watch.
I'm not sure I like how Fleer / Skybox mirrored Guerrero's image on the front with a reversed image on the back of the card - but maybe that just adds some fun to a card that is nearly 25 years old.

3 comments:

The Angels In Order said...

Love that Guerrero!

Jon said...

Have there not been any shows, or have you just not felt like going to one?

Laurens said...

The show that runs twice a month didn't in July and only has one show this month in a venue that is further away.