Sunday, January 20, 2013

R.I.P. Stan Musial and Earl Weaver

Two notable passings this weekend were Hall of Famers Musial and Weaver - I was vaguely aware of Stan the Man's heroics as a player and his status as a Hall of Fame legend.

While not having the opportunity to see him play first-hand, the two things I heard about him - was that he was always a classy player and someone who was actually sort of underrated for the prolific numbers he put up during his playing career.

I picked up a 2007 Topps Triple Threads card of Musial back in 2007 for a little more than $30 - thinking it was a nice card from a premium trading card product.

I'd also purchased an Upper Deck Authenticated signed baseball and was able to send him a couple of cards in the early 2000's - which he signed through the mail for a few dollars each instead of getting back my cards unsigned with a card [presumably pre-signed] he sent back to respond to 'TTM requests.'

As far as Weaver was concerned, an actual memory I remember when he was signing autographs at the 2010 All-Star Fan Fest in Anaheim - I saw him being driven around in a golf cart and for whatever reason I wasn't intent on getting his autograph at all; I think for a time he still signed through the mail for a $20 donation to a charity and if I didn't get him then, so be it since he didn't seem too hard to get.

No comments: