Sunday, March 27, 2022

The Diamond King Draft 2 results

It was fun trying to take this card draft seriously for a moment where there was an opportunity to participate in something with other card bloggers - for me, it was kind of like trading by proxy and I was happy to see where 7 of my 9 cards sent in were picked out.


Round 1
#89 [Gleyber] Torres - I got the #1 card off my board, which was a nice looking triple relic card.


Round 2
#5 [Joey] Bart - as other cards that piqued my interest were claimed, I snatched up a B/W rookie year parallel of a one-time prospect who looks to finally stick at catcher for the San Francisco Giants. 


Round 3
#3 [Joe] Saunders - I can't believe this a first year autograph of a one-time Angels All-Star is 20 years old and counting.


Round 4
#36 [Carlos] Delgado - I’m not sure if this was originally encased as an eTopps card, but pops real nice.  

Maybe I started to go off script as cards on my draft list were picked by other collectors - where my personal draft order had broken down a little bit.

I’m just happy to be participating where I got at least three cards I wanted so far [regardless of whether they were the actual cards I prioritized on my list besides my #1] - it’s was more fun and games pivoting towards other choices, especially where the draft cupboard wasn’t bare just yet.


Round 5
#79 [Joe] Cronin - this was a shiny, card from an older, higher end release. 


Round 6
#62 [Aaron] Judge - had my eyes on #83 [Trae] Young and #17 [Nolan] Ryan; would have gone with the NBA star for a change of pace if it wasn’t claimed.

Both the Young and Ryan cards ended up being claimed by other collectors - so I went with a card fitting a mini-collection of players pointing to the sky as a tribute.


Round 7
#63 [Andrew] Abbott - went with a shiny card of a one time Team USA guy who is now a pitching prospect in the Cincinnati Reds organization.


Round 8
#32 [Jeff] Kent - I went with something kind of odd with this parallel card from a one-off set all the way back in 2005.

Kent was never a warm and fuzzy personality but he may have been a true accumulator as a slugging second baseman - where his counting numbers as a batter look pretty good on the surface, notably for the position he took on the field.


Round 9
#2 [Bradley] Zimmer - actually had him listed twice by accident; maybe a variation card common enough but nothing I’d pick up outright, so why not?

This card probably goes into either my hats-off mini-collection or my game face; focused mini-collection - at this point, Zimmer has been all disappointment and no promise.

3 comments:

Crocodile said...

Nice picks. I only wish I had been present for the draft.

Jon said...

From what I've seen, it looks like there were a lot more better cards in this second one.

The Diamond King said...

Been away for a while, but thanks for participating!