Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Harmon Killebrew - rest in peace

Harmon Killebrew passed away on May 17 - less than a week after announcing he would giving up his battle against cancer.

I'm not sure if I had my picture taken with him but I was able to get his autographs at a golf tournament five or six years ago - one of the cards I was still hoping to get signed was his 2002 Donruss Originals card, which modeled after the 1984 Donruss design, featuring a black and white image of Killebrew.

Besides slugging 573 home runs in his career and receiving various accolades as a Hall of Fame legend - maybe an interesting aspect about Killebrew's career was getting to the Major Leagues at 18 as a bonus baby.

For parts of the next five years, Killebrew seemingly made token contributions for the Minnesota Twins - until finally getting an opportunity to play every day as a 23-year old in 1959.

No comments: