Monday, August 16, 2010

My baseball card collecting endeavors have gone nowhere

It is probably no coincidence I'm throwing this up at a time where at least a couple of collectors - have expressed concerns about their own collecting endeavors.

For me personally, I love the novelty of collecting baseball cards - partly because I can objectify the players I may get to see on TV and in-person through little pieces of cardboard that are supposed to be collectible in one form or the other.

However there are so many random cards scattered about in a bed I'm probably supposed to have been sleeping in, my computer table, my sorting table, out in boxes all over the floor in my room, et al - I've kind of let the cards pile up without dilligently picking after myself.

IT IS LIBERATING TO SEE HOW pointless collecting baseball cards is -when I can't account for particular ones or when I feel like I'm buried under the rubble. Do I really to pick up anything else? I don't really have the gumption to consume anymore new cards.

During the last 10-15 years, I don't know if I've been able to buy as many cards compared to the average Collector Joe who spends hundreds or thousands of dollars each year - but I feel a big burden with the amount of card clutter I refuse to have anything to do with at this time.

Do I have a collecting goal and/or purpose - yes, it just doesn't have anything to do with baseball cards right now.

I'm more interested in collecting baseball autographs in-person - other than picking up ones picturing players I hope to see in-person and trying to get them inked up.

Living within a half hour to a Major League Baseball stadium, collecting baseball autographs in-person - keeps me compelled to keep up with baseball cards, but I've taken one, long detour as far as having a beat on what actual baseball card collectors / speculators are going gaga about these days or not.

No comments: