Saturday, April 23, 2011

Featured autograph - Troy Percival

Former Angels closer Troy Percival threw out the first pitch before Thursday's game and signed autographs for the first 100 people - with the signings being announced immediately after a former Angel throws the first pitch, it seems the line forms quickly behind the center field rocks.

Hall of Famer Rod Carew threw out the first pitch before Friday's game - I assume people lined up to get his autograph soon as the gates opened.

For Percival, I chose to get a 1992 Bowman rookie card #290 signed - because I wanted a card that was a little more unique, even though Option 1 was a 2001 Fleer Tradition setter.

Percival took a moment to point out the card to the handler
at the table who was turned away for a moment - I think he said something like, "see that's how I looked on my first card."

A group of three or four guys who seemed to know Percival [they called him 'Big Daddy'] asked me what I'd gotten signed - at first they thought I didn't get his autograph until I showed them the signed card and explained it was the one I'd just gotten signed.

When I started to walk away but still lingering to take pictures, one the guys motioned for me to come back and they were still curious about the card - asking whether or not it was hard to find [I got it for a buck], wondering what the 'B' means [Bowman], what he was wearing [I told them 'street clothes,' like others from this set] and wanting to see the back [to kind of see when the card was made].

No comments: