Friday, November 26, 2021

1993 Donruss Elite Series Fred McGriff

All I knew about the Donruss Elite Series inserts from the early 1990s was they were needle in a haystack finds - where picking up a couple of cases [or more] of a particular Donruss product didn't guarantee an Elite Series insert pull.

I saw this in a showcase at a monthy show I go to and thought it would be a fun pick up for $10 - but then I held off because I was concerned about finding cards at the dollar bins of doom and capping my purchases off this particular table up through a certain amount.

However, there was actually a couple more opportunities to see this particular seller [at a couple of other show dates besides the monthly one I'm familiar with] - so maybe I was counting on 'circling back' to find the card again.

In a show the next Saturday after the monthly one, I made my way back to the seller's tables but didn't see the card displayed - I started to digging through the $10 box and hoped the card might still be among the others and I set aside quickly when I saw it.

This particular set was numbered to 10,000 and maybe these inserts started to loose their relevance as other chase cards printed through the early UV era [just past the junk wax years] - started to look more and more like these cards and notably inserted in a more realistic 'per box' rate.

3 comments:

Fuji said...

With 10,000 copies of each card, you'd think we'd see these sitting in dollar boxes... but these inserts have definitely held their value over the years. I picked up the Mattingly for $10 a couple of years ago, but it has a little ding in one of the corners which helped keep the cost down.

Jon said...

Wow, I just got this one like two weeks ago myself! I paid 49¢ more for mine though. So weird!

Bulldog said...

Good looking card. Can't go wrong with the Crime Dog.