Monday, January 05, 2015

R.I.P. Stuart Scott 1965-2015

He wasn't an athlete on the field, but he made as big of an impact as some of the ballplayers who have entertained me in pro sports - there were others of course, but Scott always kept me tuned in to SportsCenter, because it seemed he was having the most fun, sharing his love of sports with audience.

It was refreshing to watch highlights with all the catchphrases that would come out from his mouth [that I'd find myself repeating and smiling about when appropriate] - boo yah!

Don't hate the playa, hate the game

You don't got to go home, but you gotta get the heck up outta here

Cool as the other side of the pillow.

Gettin' his freak on! (or ...his schwerve on!)

I ain't sayin' nothin', but that ain't right.

When other ESPN sportscasters had their schticks, I realized Stuart got the most blowback for what he did on the air and it kind of bothered me - as much as I enjoyed him personally, there were sports fans who didn't care for what he did, because it was too urban and maybe just too black.

No comments: