Saturday, September 04, 2021

My little $5 dig at a card show

At the monthly card show I've gone to, there was a set up of 'overflow' seller tables because supposedly the main area was sold out - I took a little detour and found myself in the 'other room' first and figured I'd rummage through a random table's dollar and $2 boxes.

I picked up the following cards because they might be of interest - a 2021 Topps Heritage die cut of a promising rookie pitcher [Casey Mize], a 'pre rookie' parallel of basketball player Lamelo Ball, a 2018 Topps Mike Trout from the All-Star stamped factory sets [one of the bonus cards that were included] and a certified 'pink fireworks' autograph of San Francisco [Giants] pitcher Logan Webb.

I probably had the chance to get Webb's autograph in person when he was with San Jose in what was then known the Cal League in 2018 - even though he actually had some 'mainstream' cards from Panini dating back to 2014, he didn't register to me as anything but just another guy.

An 80-game PED suspension in 2019 pretty much confirmed Webb wasn't anything special - after getting to the big leagues in 2019 and pitching in parts of two seasons [having OK results despite inflated ERAs], go figure he has emerged as potential ace for years to come.

1 comment:

Fuji said...

Hadn't heard of Logan Webb until this year. Now I hear his name come up on local sports radio all the time.