Tuesday, January 11, 2022

A look back into a 2021 collecting goal

With all my card interests, it can be easy to spend a couple of weeks focused on one thing, then on a whim, just drop what I'm working on - to dwell on something else in the meantime, while the previous thing is put on hold.

Like everyone else it seems, I have a yearly set of collecting goals, but maybe it gets too long winded to fully break down on a blog - I feel like a goof when I don't catch up to any of them and so maybe it is easier to keep them offline.

The least I could really do is fish out one or maybe a couple things to recap from the last calendar year - maybe the more intricate the goals I've set, the harder it is to keep track of and figure out whether it fits into one of the following classifications. 

Passing grade - an achievement. 
I’ll take the results - did not meet a numerical goal, but came close to the spirit of achievement.
No grade - something incomplete, unfinished but not quite a failure.
Work in progress - something to be followed up on but perhaps didn’t quite focus hard enough on. 
Fail  / rejigger / L - a combination of one or all of the three means I missed my mark otherwise and I may have think about what may change as far as a goal. 

A pro tip for myself would really try to keep things simplified - where even if I've listed goals that aren't as ambitious, they are realistic and I'm not wondering why I even put them out.  

As it goes, one of the things that I jot down is to refine my Angels collection - I don't know if I'll ever be a traditional team collector, where I'm dutifully collecting every single card, but if nothing else, I want to build on the idea that there is a focus on a home team as far as what I collect.

There maybe different 'bullet points' as far as my regional focus goes - one of my goals was seeing if I could get the last 20-30 years of Angels Opening Day teams in plastic pages to display in a binder. 

I gave myself a passing grade where I actually I put 40 years [1981-2021] worth of cards in pages where I worked on this regional loose card project for a little bit - while I'm still missing stragglers, I felt like I could go ahead with displaying what I had so far, especially with a lure of seeing what the project looks like when completed.

Through 2022, this specific goal stays intact, where I hunt down cards I may still need for the pages I've made - as well as seeing where I can get a good number of cards to justify making more pages for another run of years [1980 and before]. 

No comments: