Monday, August 01, 2022

I picked up a fugazi Shohei Ohtani card

Off a random table towards the end of a card show run weeks ago, I saw what I thought to be a 2013 BBM Shohei Ohtani of some sort displayed on a seller's table and the price seemed to be right [$25] - how cool would I be, if I picked up a Japanese era Ohtani for about the price of a blaster?

Maybe I can pick up this card as a big splash out of a relatively lower-end purchase - without trying to trip over myself, I had to take the chance and couldn't wait to pull out some money to pick up this card.

Of course after getting the lousy card in-hand, I wanted to look it up to figure out what card it exactly is - it's a dual image card of Ohtani with nothing else to indicate anything else.

I found a link to an eBay listing selling the card as part of a lot basically saying they are fake with a warning - not buy the card for investment purposes.

I think if it was priced any higher, I would have ignored it as just another card that ended up not being real after all - but the card was put there on a tee, where I fell for the bait.

3 comments:

The Diamond King said...

Bummer, but a cool looking card anyway.

Jon said...

Now that you know their sort, hopefully you won't be making any more purchases from this seller. And for future reference, this is why you should do just like everyone else does these days and look it up before you buy it -- at least for things like this that you don't immediately recognize.

Fuji said...

That sucks! Sorry to hear that. Based on your pics, I'd probably get fooled too since they have BBM printed on them.