Monday, August 22, 2022

Miscellaneous Topps photo variations

I was probably leaving the card show when I went back and stumbled upon a random table with a $2 box - I started finding these Topps photo variation cards and while they might be worth only what I paid for them, where they've become fairly common, they are still a little different to the naked eye.
I had second thoughts about making this card a keeper, where there might be some junk being teased here, but it's too goofy to pass over - apparently the one-time Pirate is dressed up as Frozone from The Incredibles as part of his rookie initiation ritual back in 2019.
The Lou Gehrig image is a nice 'hats-off' shot - of a presumably contemplative moment for the baseball icon in the dugout.

I like the Roger Clemens variation where he might be the star pupil at spring training camp - as other pitchers are huddled around him.

The image on the Randy Johnson variation looks like it was taken at the same time as his 1992 Pinnacle Sidelines subset - I almost thought it was the same image.

The Jacob deGrom and Glavine are nice images of pitchers doing some hitting and baserunning - I think I missed making a keeper out of a copy of the deGrom card last year and was glad to find another.

The images Giancarlo Stanton, Dustin Pedroia and Rickey Henderson may not be as unique as the others - but they still end up as binder material for my decade stars collection.

This isn't a photo variation but a rookie year factory set variation of New York Mets slugger Pete Alonso - maybe this a type of card that looks good enough as a cheap pick up, but a 'raw card' that might not be good enough to be graded by a third party.

If the card was gradeable and gets a PSA 10 - it might be a $35-$40 card.

2 comments:

Nick said...

I'm still a sucker for photo variations & I would've definitely bought all of those. Especially fond of the deGrom, which I'm only now discovering I need for my "pitchers at the plate" mini-collection.

The Diamond King said...

I mostly hate photo variations, mostly because it is done too much. And because I can't usually tell just looking at a card in a box if it is a variation. However, some of the great pics on them are totally worth it.