Friday, October 21, 2022

Card show find - is this real vintage?

Rummaging through a seller's miscellaneous boxes, this 1939 Playball card of Al Schacht caught my eye and I had to come back to make it a keeper for $20 - maybe an unoffcial side project is looking for more oddball subjects on baseball cards, something I can build on as a 'fun,' irreverent collection.
Presumably real and not a reprint, this easily becomes the oldest card in my collection - while I do not consider myself one of those 'historian' collector types, in this instance this I want to learn more about the first Clown Prince of Baseball's impact as an entertainer / personality.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Best card in the set, and there isn't even a close second.

Nick said...

Looks real to me, and I would've been all over it for $20! I've been looking for a cheap-ish copy of that one for a while now.