Sunday, March 13, 2011

Card show trip - random stuff picked up

I know Mitch Williams as the crazy haired reliever for the Phillies who gave up Joe Carter's walk-off, series clinching home run in the 1993 World Series - he is also one of the MLB Network personalities I get to watch nearly every time I turn on the TV. However it is hard for me to believe [without actually looking it up] that 'Wild Thing' actually had a brief 20 game stint as an Angels reliever back in 1995.

Dennis Cook pitched for the World Series champion Angels in 2002, but I think he and Aaron Sele were the two 'notable' veteran pitchers not included in any of the postseason rosters - however Cook did win another World Series five years prior to 2002, with the Florida Marlins back in 1997.

I finally had a chance to go to the collectibles show held on a Wednesday and a Saturday after not being able to get a chance to do so in the past few months - despite the fact it is the only place to go and with the show having a reputation for having everything, I end up sort of buying only the most basic [unsigned 8x10 Photofiles, collecting supplies] of things, since I feel like it isn't always a good place to find just random baseball card stuff other bloggers might appreciate.

I think I spent about two hours at the show randomly walking up and down the aisles - I was bored and relented to pick up three cards from someone's dollar box, which was a pair of 2009 Upper Deck 1989 'buyback' cards featuring two former Angels with dubious ties with the organization and a 1996 Pinnacle Aficionado Chipper Jones Magic Numbers insert card with some kind of wood grain finish.

As far as I was concerned, the action for me was sparse - do I bother to mention I was about to leave the show and it occurred to me I probably need to buy some supplies if in case I don't make it back for another few months. In addition the $3 I'd already spent, I went ahead and spent $9.50 more on four ball cubes, about six packs of penny sleeves and a 3,200 card box to hold perhaps all the cards I'm using for in-person signings [or perhaps to hold all my collecting topics cards].

No comments: