Wednesday, April 20, 2022

A better than a blaster online mix of cards?

I don't really look to stray from my usual places to get cards whether it's in-person or eBay, but I stumbled upon a f/s thread in one of the trading card forums I read through - I did some virtual browsing and when a seller has pictures with his listings as opposed to blocks of text, it's probably easier to attract some impulse purchases.

I'm not as familiar buying off forums, so I didn't want to go too crazy with what I committed to pick up - including $4 s/h, my grand total was was $19.50, which wasn't too bad, though it wasn't like a bulk purchase in-person, where I end up with a lot of cards for what I've spent.

I jumped at a shiny $1 parallel of Ken Griffey Jr. - Junior Griffey may still be at the top of the list as 'the superstar' from the past 30 years, though the emotional attachment that goes with collecting his miscellaneous cards makes me old.
I jumped at a shiny $1 parallel of Derek Jeter - it may sound redundant, but I feel the same with Jeter as I do with Junior Griffey, where maybe I should focus on more of the 'here and now' guys in the MLB, rather than the all-time greats of my formative years who are sort of dated.
I snagged binder cards of Justin Verlander, Walker Buehler for $0.50 each and spent $1 on a Ichiro Sepia parallel - no biggies, but material I can use to make more pages with for the individual players.
I spent $3 for a Vladimir Guerrero Jr. relic and $2 each for an insert and a Sepia parallel - where I still prefer Vladimir Guerrero Sr. as seemingly an all-time card blogger favorite, it may just be time to collect the younger Guerrero with the same enthusiasm as his pops.
I paid $2 for the pair of Sotos and $1 for the buyback card - like Guerrero Jr., Soto is a young, relevant 'here and now' superstar, so I don't know about being able to collect him seriously, but being on the hunt for his loose cards might be a 'directive' on the down low.

The 'buyback card' is a 1973 Topps Pat Corrales #542 - while there was no care at all where the buyback stamp was placed, so the card itself clashes with the modern touch, it was hard to pass up the rather anachronistic 'parallel' of a vintage classic.

2 comments:

Jon said...

I have never seen a buyback stamp that haphazardly placed before. It's wild!

The Lost Collector said...

Nice Jeters!