Thursday, June 12, 2014

R.I.P. Bob Welch 1957-2014

The 1990 American League Cy Young Award winner passed away earlier this week - maybe the first time I probably heard of him was when his was winning games left and right in that award winning season and Sports Illustrated had a feature about him.

I read about his bout with alcoholism and also his World Series heroics in 1978 - looking back, he was a very good pitcher for so many years with the Los Angeles Dodgers and Oakland Athletics, despite not exactly considered the ace of any of the pitching staffs he was a part of.

I got his autograph once or twice back when he was a pitching coach for the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks - though I still had a small stash of baseball cards I would have liked to have gotten signed at some point.

No comments: