Thursday, July 14, 2022

Like a fat kid in a candy store with these finds

Part of what keeps me at someone's table digging through their cheap-o boxes for at least 30-40 minutes is finding cards that pop with eye appeal - the cards could be the cheapest late 1990s base cards or inserts of guys I don't claim to collect or have muted interest for [Mo Vaughn, Kenny Lofton and Manny Ramirez], but there is something else to have these shiny, trippy cards in-hand.

Other finds feature guys rubber stamped as card greats in my book [Ken Griffey Jr., Cal Ripken Jr., Derek Jeter and Kirby Puckett] - sometimes some old-school rookies pop up [Bo Jackson and Clemens] that I'm compelled to toss into my stack.

The 1985 Topps Clemens RC has a soft corner and isn't quite a 'pack fresh' card - but as a junk wax era guy, making a rookie card of a junk wax era superstar a keeper just has to be done.

2 comments:

The Diamond King said...

That Manny looks awesome, gotta find me a card from that set. And a Clemens RC in the cheap boxes? I'd take that all day.

Jon said...

I used to like finding those Studio credit cards in the dime boxes.